Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Lacock, Bath and Stonehenge

I went on a great tour today to Lacock, Bath and Stonehenge! The tour had an amazing guide who knew so much history - I could barely follow....

Lacock is a small town in the Cotswolds area. Some areas are thatched roofed and other areas are limestone. This particular town had limestone roofs. I have a picture of a thatched roof - which costs from 15,000 to 25,000 pounds to replace which I will post later. Right now you will see a picture of a English cat that lived in Lacock (no English accent that I could hear).

Bath was an amazing place. There are about 65,000 people living there, with about 20% working in the tourist industry. For the history of Bath, click here: The History of Bath.

Built on a hill, the bus took us up and up through the winding road to the very top, where the very affluent lived when they used the baths for healing. The museum was very informational, and the baths were beautiful (see picture). However, you were not allowed to touch the bath water because it is full of algae.

Last stop of the day was Stonehenge. Again, the tour guide was full of information about Stonehenge - who and possible whys it was created. There was a eerie silence around the site, people just taking it all in. I took a ton of pictures, but will only post one. It is spectacular because it is out in the middle of nowhere (but both highways border it, so there is a constant flow of traffic around it).

I got home earlier than expected, so I had to wait for Stacey since she had the keys. I went to the local pub - the Oakhill again. I ordered a pint and sat to read the newspaper. Well, it didn't take a few locals long to know I wasn't from here, so I was invited (by a note) over to join them. Their ages ranged from 30 to 63 years of age - all typical Brits you would see in a pub from 5:00 on.... I enjoyed chatting with them, and Stacey and I will be going there on Thursday to hang out again. It is too fun to hear them talk and try to figure out what they are saying. I also like asking them questions, like - "Why don't you tip bartenders?" etc.

Time for bed! I am not sure what time it is, but I know I am tired. Tomorrow is possibly Harrods, Oxford Street, Tate Modern and back to Camden Market later with Stacey.

Love to all.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like another fantastic, information filled day. Stonehenge looks really serene. Can you not get close as I don't see any people in and about the stones? Can't wait to show Putter his english mate. Rest well - watch out for those old men in Pubs, wonder if they have a hard time understanding you! LYMY, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean, That cat looks more like Stinky than putter. Why are we in rotten Wisconsin when we could be in London?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right Joe, except for the tail of course!
    Well, next week we'll be in Washington DC and fresh for touring - and we're buying an American vacation.

    ReplyDelete