Saturday, July 18, 2009

Last Day, but a Great Day

Today Stacey and I traveled north to meet up with Barb (from Eisenhower). She anxiously waited for us at the station and was our tour guide (and driver - wonderful driver) through the Cotswolds.

The Cotswolds is a range of hills in east-central England, and is often referred to as the "Heart of England." The buildings are made of cotswold stone - a yellow colitic limestone. This part of the country was beautiful with rolling hills and farmland. The churches and towns where quaint and sweet.

We stopped in three places; Chipping Campden, Broadway, and Burton-on-the-Water. I had my first "English" tea time with tea with cream and a scone. We sat by a small river and watched the Morris Men perform (see picture). After getting up close to the performance, one of the Morris men (the one 'passing the hat') wanted to make sure we had a proper welcome. He gave us each a kiss on the cheek saying it was for fertility. Then, the three of us- being the lucky ladies we are, got another kiss from him! I think he had a bit of whiskey before we met him today.

Barb was a wonderful guide, and it was so fun to see her in her 'home' country. Who else from my school will be able to say they had tea with Barb in the Cotswolds?

Well my friends, the time has come. It is my last night, and I need to go to bed. I hope you enjoyed my little journey through London - but wait - don't fret... I will continue my blog next week...but where in the world will I be??

No comments:

Post a Comment